Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Crossing Borders

Our family is now in the process of moving our life and ministry to New Mexico. Our greatest difficulty so far has been convincing our kids that we aren’t actually moving south of the border, a.k.a. Mexico . Finally I just told them that they were right. Dad has gotten into some trouble and we will be leaving the country for awhile. They will need to get jobs to support the family, while I am recovering from the stress of ministry.

It’s funny that to me Mexico does sound like a fearsome place where you would only go to hide from your past. A place where drug lords rule, where kidnappings are rampant and all good people have fled. Thing is, I just came in from speaking with Antonio an electrician working on our new building. He talked about a different Mexico, a place where family comes first and the people are friendly. His kids have grown up in the States and have visited annually for the last few years and would like nothing more than to live in Guadalajara. He never said it, for he is a humble and I believe godly man, but I got the impression that in his eyes, life is better in Mexico. I wonder if he’s right?

I know there’s a bigger picture here. Thousands maybe millions of illegal aliens crossing our borders... Money of course is the root. I suspect Antonio, two years a U.S. citizen, has worked hard and established himself financially and if he returned home would do so under promising conditions. Do you think that is the difference between my friend the hardworking Mexican now U.S. citizen and the countless others, undocumented and looking for work at any price? The need for food, shelter and clothing, the need for money… is that the difference between the illegal and the welcomed new neighbor? One can afford to come through the front door, the other can't afford not to come though the back door.

I don’t buy that the illegal aliens among us are all crooks. I don’t think endlessly open borders will work either. I guess we all know that.

This is what I do know and will stand on. This is absolutely a What Would Jesus Do kind of moment.

Mostly I’ll be interested to see how my perspective changes once I’m living a little closer to the border. Things may look a little different than they do here in Alabama.

What do you think?

-Aaron

1 Comments:

Blogger the family guy of FBC said...

good luck with the move. We will pray for you.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home