Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Best Worst Sunday

About 10:58 last Sunday morning I had no doubt that this could turn out to be the worst Sunday ever.

Worship is supposed to be this different kind of reality. If only for a few minutes the world waits outside while we are with God. Yesterday all that changed forever when, quite unexpectedly, the world came in and I feared for my life and the lives I love most. It was the worst moment I have ever experienced in church.

With sand from the beach still in my hair and a baptism to come it was a good Sunday. Dot B. was about to sing, and my mind was already more with the sermon to come than with anything else. The sound of the warning cry from the back pew would have been enough to rattle me without the shock of the words. Somehow someway against my every expectation a strange man was walking purp
osefully to the front of the church. With beads of sweat running the length of his face and chest heaving, the force of his interruption would have been enough to bring everything to a halt, but it was the knife in his hand, drawn and ready that arrested every breath in the room.

The young man had a name, Fredrick, and he spoke of awful things that he had done. Has he just done this thing? Are others hurt? Will we be hurt? My wife Amy is sitting just a few feet away. Will she see something horrible happen to me today?

And then, suddenly God was there and even now, thinking about it I feel like crying for joy. No one screamed. No one fled. Almost as one our body of believers began to act. Men crept from their seats and up the aisles. Those in the back moved to secure the children in their rooms. Many began quietly placing calls for help on their phones. Elsewhere, teachers bravely kept smiles on their faces as they maintained the calm of their class knowing their loved ones were in danger and outside, praise God, an off duty police officer enters the building having seen the man enter from the road. Back in the sanctuary Alma Lee speaks up with all the crazy bravery her mother gave her. “Young man, your business is at the alter.”

Addressing the man I spoke. “Sounds like you've got a lot on you today.” His head sunk as he nodded yes. Would he like to talk with me up here and then pray together? Yes, he would, and as he moved forward, "would he please put down the knife?" Without a word he placed the knife on the prayer rail and there could have been no better place for in that moment 87 prayers were answered as we all began to breathe again.

He stepped forward as I took his hand and instantly two of our young men were there on either side bracing his arms in place as we first spoke and then prayed. Whatever menace was in this man’s face a minute earlier was gone, replaced now with repentance and tears. Would the young man continue our conversation in the offices? Would he go there with these young men (and several more) and wait for me? Yes, he would.

And then he was gone. Dot sang her song and Mike took the lead as I moved to catch up with the men. Walking into the back halls I saw so many people at every corner, each one on their own mission to check on this person or that. The police were already there. No one could believe how fast they had arrived. Certainly 911 had a busy few minutes.

In the office Frederick sat as officers and myself came into the room. As we spoke again of repentance the officers began their arrest. Did he understand there would still be consequences for what he had done? Would he want me to visit him in detention? A final prayer and then it was time to let the police do their job.

Walking back down the hall I realized the sound of music was still coming from the sanctuary. Still, after all this nobody had fled. As I came into the sanctuary there they were, these Christians filling the room with their song, the prayer rail with bended knees and the air with their prayers for God’s protection, praying even for this troubled young man. These people had never lost their way and suddenly I was filled with such joy and relief the tears welled up in my eyes. Their worship had never ended and for myself I can say it still hasn’t.

Yes, the world came into our church this past Sunday, but God came in with it and already I’m realizing that it might just turn out to be the best Sunday ever.

4 Comments:

Blogger jeff said...

Aaron, What an awesome day! I celebrate with and for you. There is no doubt in my mind that your church will ever be the same. What an awesome testimony. I plan on sharing the testimony of your congregations faithfulness tomorrow at New Hope here in Paducah.
jeff biggs

1:58 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Aaron,

First of all, thank you for sharing your story and doing it with such great writing! It really is amazing and we are all thankful that everyone remained safe.

I also wanted you to know that the witness of this story is traveling and there is no telling where all it will go. A woman who was the orgnanist in my home church in Hueytown now lives in Jacksonville, AL and she forwarded your post to me (I'm in Savannah, TN) this morning. She now attends a Methodist church. I had already read it after seeing it on Scott's blog and was amazed when it came in my email box from her.

So, just know that it is going on. You will never know how many are touched through this.

Tiffany McClung

5:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a powerful reminder that the Lord truly does go before us to prepare the way and to carry us through - whatever the circumstances. He is faithful to us just as He was to Joshua so many years ago. He never leaves us or forsakes us.

How dare we question Him when our circumstances are more than we can humanly handle!

Nita McMillan

10:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aaron,
Way to go. The world interupted and you didnt side-step or get annoyed with God's plan. Great story...Im really trying to wrap my mind around the fact that this happened at your church...I know it did...Wow.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home