Monday, October 09, 2006

Before the Throne


The lights are down. The speaker has finished. The message was moving. The music begins to rise. A leader begins to speak about the need to act on what has been said. The alter is open.

They are referred to as “alter calls.” I have been a part of many. I’ve “led” a few. I’ve been in the back of the room countless times, but I still don’t know what I believe or how I feel about this way of doing ministry.

What is it about the call to come forward that’s so important to the faith of so many? It’s not something that has always been done by Christians, at least not as the Great Awakening and Billy Graham have made it known. The call to commitment, the challenge to face God, even the human need to have watershed moments of deep soul searching. I think we see these in the Bible and I think we need these today, whether they occur beside our bed or at the front of the church.

Perhaps the heart needs room to work when the mind is not busy following someone else’s words or worrying about the outside world, but when does providing a time and place for that kind of reflection turn into manipulation?

Recently two friends and I began talking about this while planning an upcoming youth retreat. I don’t know that we all saw things exactly the same way, but I know that we all love God. Most of all I wonder what God thinks and I wouldn’t mind knowing what you think either.

Take Care
Aaron

1 Comments:

Blogger Krayg said...

Altar calls rock. We need to get people into heaven any way we can - if we need to trick them or emotionally rail-road them in - who cares. The main thing is that thye get there - right?
Na - just kdding. They do work, but i agree the over emotion some people use concerns me. I think it is really good though to allow in a low key kind of way, a chance for people to respond straight after they have been exposed to the truth. The emotion and stuff is eaily sorted out afterwards when they sit and talk to someone about what they've done.
Cool?
Craig

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home