Monday, July 10, 2006

Hope Pres Angst

Everytime I come into contact with a church that labels itself emergent it feels like I'm walking past the cool kid's table in Jr.High. Everyone's polite when you talk with them, but the fact is they have a guy with cool tatoos painting abstract images of God in their worship while I've got an... organ.

The truth is we are all almost always looking at our own church and comparing it to the others around us. The cumulative effect is to leave the Body of Christ feeling somewhat like a Jr. High lunch room. We know each other, we're even polite to each other, but deep down we believe in being the way we are or we at least feel most comfortable being the way we are. Their way is not our way. So we sit at our own table with our own people and sometimes we talk about those people.

I think there are a few myths about church that need uncovering. Maybe we can spend some time these next few weeks doing so, always pointing the scrub brush at ourself first of course.

So, I suppose the question at hand is, what does the lunchroom feel like to you? Do you ever have that my church/their church angst and what can we do about it?

Take Care
Aaron

1 Comments:

Blogger Aaron McMillan said...

Chas, my friend is Anglican recently departed from the Episcopal Church. He knows all about the lunch room. I'm glad you're here. I actually miss the vestments sometimes. We don't even have candles.

So, as a church planter do you feel any pressure to try to be a certain kind of church?

Aaron

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home