Saturday, August 11, 2007

Construction

We are right now in the middle of a new construction project at church, a new activity building. You can see a rendering of it at http://www.gadsdencp.com/ Click on the directions tab.

It’s been exciting and eye opening all the way. I love being in school, relish walking into a new class for the first time and looking over the syllabus. For me this new project has made it feel like class is in session every day and I’m loving that. At first I think we all felt a little intimidated in every way by this new thing God’s doing. From discerning God’s will, to raising the funds, to planning the building, to bringing in the dozers, there have been plenty of mountains to climb. Now once again we are realizing that our campaign to inspire people for ministry and to give to their church can’t stop just because we are busy now with dirt and brick. In fact I believe when all is said and done that will be the true challenge, keeping our church from slowing to an idle while the smokehouse brown elephant takes the center ring in our little circus. Uh…you see the block walls are smokehouse brown and the building is sort of elephant like due to it’s… Well. It made sense to me.

I’ve always heard it said from a pastoral perspective that once a construction project begins you can plan on getting nothing else big done until the dust settles. It really is true. There is so much ministry growth that needs to take place in our congregation and yet, I can sense that if we were to take on these challenges right now they would never gather the spiritual and logistical momentum new things need to take root and grow. So, I never thought I’d hear myself saying this, but perhaps this is a good time to accept for a few months the status quo. The status quo of course is Aaron’s arch enemy, that mysterious force anchoring God’s Kingdom forever to all that is comfortable and well worn, all that the world would like the church to be, a cozy place to go when life gets tough where everybody knows your name.

So, anyway…these are my thoughts this morning. I’d love to hear your thoughts on big projects, new ministries and the status quo.

-Aaron

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home